Ferry that sank in Pacific was ordered not to carry people

FILE - This Jan 28, 2018, file photo released by the New Zealand Defense Force shows a wooden dinghy, left, carrying seven survivors from a missing ferry and a fishing boat in the Pacific Ocean. A ferry that sank earlier this month while sailing between two islands in the remote Pacific nation of Kiribati had been ordered not to carry passengers because of earlier damage, the government said Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018. (New Zealand Defense Force via AP)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A ferry that sank earlier this month while sailing between two islands in the remote Pacific nation of Kiribati had been ordered not to carry passengers because of earlier damage, the government said Wednesday.

About 80 people are missing, although the government hasn't confirmed the exact number. A New Zealand military plane using radar found a small wooden dinghy on Sunday that was carrying seven survivors who told rescuers the ferry sank.

Kiribati, which has about 108,000 people, declared a week of prayer as the search for more survivors continued. The U.S. and Australia have joined New Zealand in the search, as have several fishing boats in the area.

Government spokesman Tearinibeia Enoo-Teabo said maritime authorities had ordered the MV Butiraoi, a 17.5-metre (57-foot) wooden catamaran, not to carry any passengers before it left because it had sustained serious damage to its navigational system, rudders and hull. It was unclear whether any repairs had been made.

He said investigators are going to the island to find out more about the passenger count and why the ferry left despite the orders.

Other questions remain, including why it took Kiribati authorities so long to tell New Zealand officials the ferry was missing.

The ferry left Nonouti Island bound for South Tarawa on Jan. 18, according to authorities, a journey which was supposed to take two days. New Zealand rescuers said they weren't told about the missing boat until Friday, eight days after the ferry had left.

Enoo-Teabo said they believe at least 80 passengers and five crew members were aboard.

New Zealand's Rescue Coordination Centre said they're continuing to search for a more substantial life raft that may have been launched from the sinking ferry and which was designed to carry 25 people.

The seven survivors told rescuers they had drifted for four days in the blazing sun and had no water. They were found more than 180 kilometers (112 miles) from the nearest major island.

The crew of the Orion plane dropped supplies to the survivors and then a fishing boat picked them up. They have since transferred to a Kiribati marine patrol with a doctor aboard. New Zealand authorities identified the survivors as three men, three women, and a 14-year-old girl. All are described as being in reasonable health.

Must Read

Israeli prime minister hopes to triple trade with...

Feb 23, 2017

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that he hoped to triple bilateral trade...

Lewis Hamilton takes pole in record pace at F1...

Mar 25, 2017

Something that surprised Lewis Hamilton after he posted the fastest lap ever at the Albert Park...

Vettel breaks Ferrari's F1 drought with victory...

Mar 26, 2017

Sebastian Vettel broke Ferrari's Formula One drought with a victory over Mercedes teammates Lewis...

Australia pledges support during Afghan...

Apr 3, 2017

Australia has pledged ongoing support to Afghanistan during a visit by the Afghan president, after...

Australia warns travelers to not bring in...

May 11, 2017

Australian quarantine authorities have urged travelers through Asia to beware of hitchhiking...

People also read these

Australian prime minister won't choose between...

Mar 24, 2017

Australia's prime minister said his Australia doesn't need to choose between the United States and...

Australian leader promises help on housing...

Apr 5, 2017

Australia's prime minister is fending off criticism over tax concessions for investors in booming...

Nauru president: Australia's refugee policy...

Apr 6, 2017

Nauru's president said Australia's policy of sending asylum seekers to his nation was "working...

Australian leader vague on fate of asylum seekers

Apr 8, 2017

The future of hundreds of asylum seekers at an Australian-run detention center in Papua New Guinea...

Australia plans major spending plus surplus in 3...

May 10, 2017

Australia's government plans major infrastructure spending including a new Sydney airport and...

Sign up now!

Three Sixty Press is your general news coverage keeping you up-to-date with the vast news in the world.

Contact us: sales@threesixtypress.com